On this Polaroid Socialmatic Review we will talk about the camera specs, pros and cons.
Back in the 70s, when instant photography was the newest and the coolest way to take a picture, nobody would have thought that in less than half a century those photos could be shared with the entire planet. Polaroid Socialmatic is a digital camera able to take a picture, print it and post it online in just a few minutes. It even allows users to take selfies using its rear camera!
This square-shaped camera features a 4.5 inch touchscreen on its back, an internal storage of 4GB and a Micro SD card slot for up to 32 additional Gigabytes. Even if not mandatory, the SD card will help you keep copies of your printed pictures and it will be useful if you wish to store music, videos or even voice recordings that you can listen through the camera’s stereo speakers.
Equipped with an Android Operating System, Polaroid Socialmatic offers you the possibility to edit your pictures before printing them or before posting them online using the integrated WI-FI. Besides that, Socialmatic also allows users to tag their friends and check in their location using its incorporated internet browser and its GPS system.
In order to print the images Polaroid Socialmatic uses 2×3” ZINK paper that can be easily transformed into stickers by peeling their back side. The paper contains crystals that are activated by heat and turned into colors. This is how the “printing” process takes place inside the camera.
Polaroid Socialmatic Review: Pros
- The resolution of the front camera is 14MP so the pictures can be printed in larger formats without losing their quality
- The photos can be easily transformed into stickers by peeling their back off
- The internet browser allows the user to also see pictures and videos posted by their contacts and to interact with them
- The design is really cool, resembling the Instagram icon
- It does not require any ink or cartridges
Polaroid Socialmatic Review: Cons
- Rear camera is only 2MP so the quality of the pictures is not that great
- The touchscreen is not very responsive, sometimes it won’t scroll down or it will select the wrong options
- The battery drains fast even when the camera is not used and sometimes it won’t recharge – which is the # 1 reason for returns in the United States
- The camera is thick and entirely made of plastic which makes it feel cheap
- The photos are printed darker than they look and the colors seem unnatural
- Printing takes a lot of time and when the camera goes in stand-by the printing job is cancelled
- The original packing does not include a full instructions manual so users have to work it out on their own